What are Learning Management Systems. The case for Moodle.
A Learning Management System (LMS) is a platform for digital learning. With a LMS you can create a single platform of online courses and training materials and manage courses, educators, and students. The system automates boring and repetitive work, such as grading, statistics, analytics or reports. In other words, an LMS is like an online university where you can create your own online courses, provide students access to specific content and help evaluate their results.
What is Moodle ?
Moodle stands for Modular Object-Oriented Dynamic Learning Environment and is a free software for e-learning which helps educators create courses and facilitate communication with students.
Benefits of using Moodle for the educators:
- Sharing course materials – Files and links to various websites and resources can be shared with students. Educators cand also quickly create learning content whether it is images, audio, video or text.
- Managing access – Students can be split into groups and given access to specific learning materials. The moment when a specific content becomes available to learners can also be specified.
- Updating course content – Teachers can update and post new course content for learners to access instantly from anywhere
- Automated assessments – Educators can quickly create a quiz and Moodle can automatically mark and give meaningful feedback to students
- Managing Work submisssions – Students can submit assignments and receive feedback and grades from the tutor.
- Monitoring progress – Moodle stores each student’s scores for any activity that is graded.
Benefits of using Moodle for students:
- Communication with colleagues – Students can use course forums and discuss different topics, share thoughts and give feedback. Moodle also comes equipped with a chat module where speakers can engage in live discussions from different locations at the same time.
- Dashboard – Learners can customize their homepage to access specific information faster according to their own needs
- Testing – The quiz tests and gives feedback to students.
- Accessing course materials – Learners can access learning resources whenever they want, from any place in the world. The site is build to be responsive and there is also a Mobile App to make access easier via smartphone or other mobile device.
- Gamification – Moodle Badges are rewards for different achievements. Students can chalange them to earn all the badges available in a course.
- Variety of content – Learning with Moodle can be fun. Moodle supports different content types to support the students in their learning journey.
To see how OPTI can help you implement an e-learning solution, see our Education & Publishing presentation