Ensure security by updates, refactoring and monitoring
Security is a constantly-evolving goal which requires continous adaptation
● All the technologies used need to be catalogued, together with their inter-dependencies: programming languages, server services, software versions. OPTI can create a technology manual for your business.
● In case of official security releases, upgrades should be planned as soon as possible: both hardware and software, solving the dependencies so functioning is not affected.
● In case of urgent security bugs, pro-active preventive steps may be taken: access reduction, access filtering, working on a data snapshot.
● When security updates conflict with normal functioning, refactoring and code updates need to be implemented.
The case for code refactoring
● In a fast-changing technology landscape, organizations depend on multi-year-old software using technologies which may become deprecated.
● OPTI specializes in working with legacy code. We identify vulnerable portions of the legacy technology so minimal replacements ensure security. Or we refactor the code to the latest versions, re-writing the software to make it secure.
Security is cheap
Secure, up to date software has economic advantages:
● Is faster and easier to integrate with new technologies
● Decreases maintenance cost since official security updates can be managed in-house, until close to deprecation.
● Decreases manhour cost, since junior software developers are available for hot new technologies, while legacy versions are mastered by senior developers.