How to approach a transition to cloud-based services or to SaaS?
The IT market has evolved towards an ecosystem of specialized vendors offering bits of technologies for a reduced ownership cost. In order to take the opportunity:
● IT projects need to be split into interacting services based on separation of responsabilities, not monolyths responsible for everything.
● Market research will indicate the software-as-a-service solutions that are best in terms of capabilities, endurance, support quality and market adoption.
● Pre-implementation testing needs to be performed in realistic scenarios, preferably in a free-trial period to reduce business cost commitment.
● Direct competitors will be continuously monitored so as to maintain a technological edge and to adopt any market-making innovations.
Both software and hardware facilities can be moved to cloud or Saas:
● Traditional website capabilties: Search as a service, Payment as a service, API as a service, CMS as a service.
● Traditional in-house server infrastructure: Cloud databases, Cloud hosting, Cloud load balancers
● Domain specific solutions: Payment provider integration, Social media integration, Customer relation management, etc.